Sunday, March 9, 2014

Forgive His Trespasses


Forgive His Trespasses

Before this age of weakened eyes and mind,
Before his bitter humor had such bite,
He was a strong and ordinary man
Until unforgivable outrage left him blind
With loathing for his days, his very life.
Yes, once he was a well-respected man.

Back in the days of work and health and hope
With wife and son and daddy’s little girl,
His mid-life self was proud of all he’d built
With intellect. He’d labored up life’s slope
To give much more than his own childhood world
Had offered him with all its ugly guilt.

He was strict and loud, a caring dad.
He made up stories, handed out advice.
Our boy stuck to him as with glue.
He loved his wife and girl, was rarely mad.
He provided for us all. He sacrificed.
Years passed as years do pass. The children grew.

Then came the night we’ve lived a million times,
A night of circumstance he’s wished he could prevent:
Our teenaged girl, by chance, wrong place, alone,
Died, the victim of unspeakable crimes.
And came the call, the news, the long lament.
A father’s rage. Our family crumbled in a groan.

I’ve walked with him through life that’s felt like death.
Our son detests his father’s madnesses.
And I’ve grown weak, can’t provide his care.
Please treat him well, until his dying breath.
I ask that you forgive his trespasses,
For those who trespassed against us caused such despair.

My soul, wait in silence for God only, for my hope is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I shall not be shaken.-Psalm 62:5-6

This blog post is part of a series of writing (Feb.-March 2014) by Tammy Fletcher Bergland sharing original poetry. tbergland.blogspot.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment